Regular Dominaria (DOM) draft opened up on Thursday October 25th and I dove right in, having never played with Dominaria cards before. Guilds of Ravnica (GRN) got stale fast with only just 5 archtypes/guilds to build around and it got extremely repetitive seeing Dimir and Boros over and over again.
All the drafts took quite a while since I was slowly going over each card, evaluating their strengths and weaknesses. Right off the bat I noticed a few things:
- Dominaria is a much slower draft format than GRN. There are no games where it is over by turn 3, which is very common in GRN Boros when they have the nut hand.
- Commons and uncommons feel very powerful. This makes for a more fun environment and more opportunities to pick up good cards and build your deck around it.
- Splashing is limited compared to GRN where guildgates are plentiful. Skittering Surveyor and Grow from the Ashes are premium mana fixers so be sure to pick those up early if you’re planning to splash more than two colors.
Winning Deck Lists
Here are some decks that I piloted to 6 and 7 wins.
- So far I have not noticed any quirkiness from the AI draft bots as I did in GRN (where the bots were seriously undervaluing the Dimir and Boros cards).
- There are a lot more archtypes (for now), as players are still figuring out the Dominaria draft meta.
- Due to the sheer amount of Legendaries with unique abilities, this allow more space for decisions and choices. The games feel more engaged.
So far, I feel Dominaria is much more fun to draft compared to Guilds of Ravnica. I can’t wait to try out Dominaria Sealed (if it ever comes).
How are you finding the draft format in Dominaria so far? Leave a comment below!